Call for Nominations for the 2023
Annual Northeastern Division Awards
Do you know someone always going above and beyond? Someone who is a pillar of the fisheries or aquatic science community in the Northeast? Someone who has impressed you with their work ethic and accomplishments? Well, now it is your chance to nominate them for this year’s Division awards. Below is a list of the Northeastern Division awards and requirements. Please consider nominating your fisheries colleagues.
DIVISION PROFESSIONAL/EXCELLENCE AWARDS
The Division provides several awards recognizing excellence in professionalism/service. Four of these awards are administered by the Awards Committee: the Dwight A. Webster Memorial Award, the President’s Award, the Meritorious Service Award, and the Special Achievement Award. The Dwight A. Webster Memorial Award has been presented annually since 1978. The President’s Award was established at the 1993 annual business meeting. The Meritorious Service Award and the Special Achievement Award are the newest Division Professional/Excellence Awards, with the first awards given out at the 2000 annual meeting.
Dwight A. Webster Memorial Award
This award is presented annually and is the most prestigious recognition given by the Northeastern Division. It may be awarded for any of the following achievements:
- Lifelong contributions to fisheries science and the profession in the Northeast or while working in the Northeast;
- Meritorious/prestigious service to the profession and fisheries;
- Significant academic or technical accomplishments; and
- Long-term service in the Northeastern Division as an AFS member.
This award is presented to an individual who is selected by Past Presidents and the incumbent President; it is not limited to Past Presidents. The recipient need not be a current AFS member, and the award need not be presented annually. The award may be presented for any or all the following achievements:
1. Promotion of fisheries management;
2. Upheld ideals of professionalism; and
3. Dedication to AFS and employer.
Meritorious Service Award
This award is presented to an individual who must be an AFS member for any or all of the following:
- Leadership and service to the profession and/or AFS;
- Substantial achievements for AFS and the fisheries resource; and
- Significant long-term service to the NE Division within the Division.
Special Achievement Award
This award recognizes an individual or group acting as a team or committee for any or all of the following special accomplishments:
- Notable contribution(s) for conservation and/or the fisheries profession within the Northeastern Division; and
- Administrative or project-related accomplishments.
Nominating colleagues is easy to do and a great way to tell our colleagues how much we appreciate their hard work! All you need to do is: 1) gather a nominee’s resume, 2) write a short letter of nomination, and 3) gather support letters from employers, fisheries professionals, or AFS members/officers.
A list of past recipients can be found at https://ned.fisheries.org/awards/previous-recipients/. Please email nominations with attachments to: Toniann Keiling, AFS NED Awards chair, at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit is: Monday, September 18th, 2023. Award recipients will be announced during this year’s NED business meeting at the October 14-17, 2023 AIC/NED annual meeting in Saint John, New Brunswick (https://aic.fisheries.org/2023-aic-meeting/).